Posted by: Phat^Trance in iPhone News, Jailbreak guides, Jailbreak News
The dev-team has finally released PwnageTool 4.01 that jailbreakes the iPhone 3GS with iOS4. Please read the instructions carfully and do this mod at your own risk, you may damage your phone!
On Monday, Apple released firmware 4.0 for the iPhone and iPod touch devices. This of course was a major upgrade. As advised, you shouldn’t have upgraded your devices if you have previously relied on our tools for hacktivation and/or a carrier unlock.
PLEASE READ THIS ENTIRE POST CAREFULLY, THERE ARE KNOWN UPGRADE TRAPS AND DIFFERENT UPGRADE SCENARIOS THAT NEED TO BE FULLY UNDERSTOOD AND CONSIDERED BEFORE USING THESE TOOLS.
Each supported device has few different scenarios that users need to consider when performing the upgrades, you need to check below and perform the upgrade in the particular way that matches your current device state.
NB: With PwnageTool 4.0 PwnageTool 4.01 certain devices are not supported this is because they are not supported in iOS 4.0 or they are not supported by our software. We’re working on ways to get past these restrictions.
- iPhone 2G - not supported
- iPod Touch - not supported
- iPod Touch 3G - not supported
PwnageTool 4.0 PwnageTool 4.01 only recognizes the official IPSWs that came out yesterday. If you had developer access to the “4.0 GM” IPSWs, do not try to use those.
Summary: Currently, PwnageTool only works on previously jailbroken 3GS devices with the old bootrom.
- If you have a Jailbroken iPhone 3GS with the OLD BOOTROM and you DID NOT use Spirit to jailbreak then you can create the ipsw with PwnageTool 4.0 and restore with your jailbroken recovery mode.
- If you have an iPhone 3GS with the NEW BOOTROM this is NOT supported by PwnageTool 4.0 PwnageTool 4.01
- If you have a Jailbroken iPhone 3G at 3.1.2 (but not jailbroken with Spirit) then you should create the ipsw with PwnageTool 4.01 and restore from recovery mode or DFU mode.
- If you have an out of the box iPhone 3G you should restore using a PwnageTool 4.01 ipsw using DFU mode.
- If you have a Jailbroken 3.1.3 iPhone 3G it is very possible that this can fail from recovery mode, if this failure happens you will need to restore using DFU mode.
- As an alternative to PwnageTool, you can use redsn0w on iPhone 3G (on both Windows and Mac) as mentioned in our last post.
IMPORTANT! Whenever you need to enter DFU mode, you will need to do so using PwnageTool.
iPod touch 2G
- If you have an iPod touch 2G (non-MC model) that is jailbroken (but not with Spirit) then you can restore using recovery mode.
- As an alternative to PwnageTool, you can use redsn0w on non-MC iPod Touch 2G (on both Windows and Mac) as mentioned in our last post.
- As you probably know by now, ultrasn0w has been updated to cover all basebands from 04.26.08 onward. Many thanks to @sherif_hashim for finding the crashing command that the new ultrasn0w 0.93 uses! He worked hard at finding the crash, and he kept it confidential until the right time to use it.
- Major props to @oranav (who found the earlier +xlog crash). He also had this crashing command!
- iPhone 3G and 3GS baseband unlockers (those who rely on ultrasn0w to make phone calls) should always be very wary to update their firmware, however our Ultrasn0w application will unlock all recent (including the current) 3GS and 3G baseband firmware versions. Once you are jailbroken using PwnageTool 4.01, install ultrasn0w from Cydia and you’ll be unlocked.
- Remember! This baseband unlock situation is rare, should you upgrade your iPhone blindly at the next iOS release please don’t expect an unlock - but for now you are OK (whatever state your baseband is in).
Please feel free to ask any questions in the comment section below. We’ve got a bunch of expert help there, including our friendly moderators confucious and angie!
Official Bittorrent Releases
PwnageTool 4.01 Torrent - PwnageTool_4.01.dmg.5645662.TPB.torrent
SHA1 Sum = 15bdb90ec40f1e279bb648eb7e9d90ebe07b66d2
SHA1 Sum = a7e83163b4868256ac887975d7d2fd230110cf68
The following links are unofficial download mirrors, you download these archives at your own risk, we accept no responsibility if your computer explodes or if it becomes part of a NASA attacking botnet or even worse if your hands fall off mid-way during the use of these files. We do not check these links and we accept no responsibility with regard to the validity of the files, the other content that these links may provide or with the content that is on the third-party linked site.
Always check the files that you have downloaded against our published SHA1 hash.
We would prefer that you downloaded the official bittorrent release that is linked above, but you are welcome to try these if you really must. Mirror owners should email direct dmg download links only (no rapidshare or filesharing sites please) to firstname.lastname@example.org — please don’t place mirrors in the comments as they will be deleted.